2) Patient Awareness
The most important predictor of the success of any telemedicine program is patient awareness. The “if you build it, they will come” approach is rarely successful. Fortunately, the key to building awareness is pretty simple, consistently talk to your patients about telemedicine.
Best Practices for Building Patient Awareness
Successful practices take the following opportunities to mention telemedicine:
- During the exam, providers should take the opportunity to talk with patients about telemedicine while they are in the exam room. For example, if a follow-up encounter is needed, that’s the perfect time to introduce the option of a video visit. The provider is usually the most trusted member of the practice, so they are in a unique position to make the patient feel comfortable with the approach.
- Office staff who check patients out and schedule the next visit should be familiar with the clinical applications of telemedicine and offer video visits as an option when appropriate. They can schedule the visit on the spot.
- When patients call to schedule an appointment, staff members should make sure the patient knows that video visits are a convenient option and offer to schedule one in lieu of an in-office encounter.
Kareo Will Help
Kareo helps our clients ensure patient awareness in a number of important ways. Customers enjoy:
- Custom branded telemedicine web page. This landing page, which is unique to your practice lets patients know that you offer telemedicine. Importantly, they can schedule an appointment right from this page. When they do, your staff will get an email with the request and can simply schedule the appointment in Kareo.
- Patient email. We’ll also help get the word out by sending an informative email to patients. It will include a link to your telemedicine web page so they can schedule a video visit while it is fresh on their mind.
- Posters and brochures. We’ll send you posters and brochures to help inform clients in your office.